Cal Poly Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Office helps you plan your finances and organize your resources to cover your college costs. Financial assistance is a resource designed to supplement the cost of education, and is not intended to be used as a student's sole means of income. The types and amounts of aid Cal Poly awards or recommends are subject to availability of funds, enrollment status, and financial need. Cal Poly students have a variety of financial aid programs available for assistance. Programs vary in eligibility criteria, award amounts, and repayment options.
EMPL ID# is the 9 digit Cal Poly ID number found on the student's portal under the Personal Information Tab.
Our primary form of communication is via email. Students must check their Cal Poly email for important notices and updates.
- For current and admitted students who filed their 2016-17 FAFSA, initial awards are now posted on your portal. Please check your to-do list and submit any requested documents as soon as possible.
- The priority filing period for Cal Poly Financial Aid is March 2, 2016. The FAFSA can continue to be submitted after March 1st but some more limited types of aid may not be available.
- To complete the FAFSA the student and at least one parent (if parental information is required) must sign up for an FSA ID and Password at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm.
- Once students and parents have filed their 2016 federal taxes, the FAFSA should be updated using the IRS Data Retrieval tool. Our friends at UCSB have an excellent on-line tutorial if you are not sure of the steps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZNRdk3iXeM
- New students are automatically considered for scholarships. If Cal Poly is able to offer a scholarship it will be posted to the student’s portal and an email sent to the student’s Cal Poly email address. Most new student scholarships are posted prior to the May 1st commitment date.
- For more detailed information on the financial aid process, please refer to our Vital Award Information page. Other financial aid details can be found on the pages of our website. We recommend that you review them carefully.
- Students can give parents access to some of their portal information, such as financial aid awards, to-do lists and account information by setting up a report on “Share My Info” which is available on the student portal under the Money Matters tab. Once set up, parents can access real time data at https://sharemyinfo.calpoly.edu.
- Financial Aid for spring quarter will disburse on Monday March 20th for students registered in at least 6 units for undergraduates and 4 units for graduates provided all to-do list items for the 2015-16 award year are complete and reviewed. Any refunds will be processed by Friday March 24th.
- For some aid students must be in at least 12 units. If you will be adding classes during add/drop, your aid will disburse once you are enrolled in the appropriate number of units. If you are enrolled in less than full time units at the end of add/drop, some grant aid may be adjusted.
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (closed 12-1) Monday - Thursday.
No telephones on Friday.
|Walk-Up Window||9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed 12-1)|
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed 12-1)
No appointments taken; walk-in basis only.