Cal Poly Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Office helps you plan your finances and organize your resources to cover your college costs. Financial assistance is a resource designed to supplement the cost of education and is not intended to be used as a student's sole means of income. The types and amounts of aid Cal Poly awards or recommends are subject to availability of funds, enrollment status, and financial need. Cal Poly students have a variety of financial aid programs available for assistance. Programs vary in eligibility criteria, award amounts, and repayment options.
IMPORTANT UPDATES (effective January 7, 2019)
EMPL ID# is the 9 digit Cal Poly ID number found on the student's portal under the Personal Information Tab.
Students are required to show their student ID when visiting the Financial Aid office.
Our primary form of communication is via email. Students must check their Cal Poly email for important notices and updates.
The Cal Poly Financial Aid Office takes the security of your personal information seriously, and it is important for you to know that emailing documents with sensitive information is not secure and risks a potential data breach. You should submit any documents with sensitive information (such as SSN or birth dates) either via fax (805-756-7243), by U.S. mail, or by encrypted email. Your current email provider may offer an encryption option or you can download free software at http://www.7-zip.org/.
- If you have not already done so, you need to complete the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Application by the March 4th priority filing period for full consideration of aid for Fall 2019.
- Housing Payment Waivers: In order to be eligible for a waiver of the non-refundable initial payment of $500 for housing, you must have a 2019-20 FAFSA on file and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of between 0 and 6,000. (Your EFC can be found in the upper right-hand corner of your Student Aid Report, which is emailed to you after filing the FASFA.) Please allow 7-10 business days from the time you initially file your 2019-20 FAFSA in order for your housing payment waiver to be applied. At that time, you will need to go through the housing application's online payment steps and will notice that your payment due reduces to $0 during the final step.
- Winter aid disbursed to students’ accounts and first refunds occurred 1/4/19. You need to be enrolled in the minimum number of units required for your aid type for the funds to disburse. If you are adding classes, you have until the end of add/drop to be in the required units. Once in those units, your aid will automatically disburse and any refund processed.
- Students who do not intend to be full time may have aid revised after add/drop. If aid has previously disbursed at full time and you are in less than full time at the end of add/drop, some aid may need to be repaid.
- To ensure timely financial aid disbursement, please check your to-do list and submit any requested documents as soon as possible.
- For more detailed information on the financial aid process, please refer to our Vital Award Information page. Other financial aid details can be found on the pages of our website. We recommend that you review them carefully.
- Students can give parents access to some of their portal information, such as financial aid awards, to-do lists and account information by setting up a report on “Share My Info” which is available on the student portal under the Money Matters tab. Once set up, parents can access real-time data at https://sharemyinfo.calpoly.edu.
- DACA students are not eligible for federal aid. However, those who meet California AB540 residency requirements can be eligible to apply for and receive state funding through the CA Dream Application. The rescinding of DACA does not change the state funding available to those students.
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (closed 12-1) Monday - Thursday.
No telephones on Friday.
|Walk-Up Window||8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday|
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
No appointments taken; walk-in basis only.