Cal Poly Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Office helps you plan your finances and organize your resources to cover your college costs. Financial assistance is a resource designed to supplement the cost of education, and is not intended to be used as a student's sole means of income. The types and amounts of aid Cal Poly awards or recommends are subject to availability of funds, enrollment status, and financial need. Cal Poly students have a variety of financial aid programs available for assistance. Programs vary in eligibility criteria, award amounts, and repayment options.
EMPL ID# is the 9 digit Cal Poly ID number found on the student's portal under the Personal Information Tab.
Our primary form of communication is via email. Students must check their Cal Poly email for important notices and updates.
- The Department of Education has changed its system of personal identifier from a federal PIN number to an FSA ID user name and password. Going forward the FSA ID user name and password is what will be used to sign a FAFSA or Master Promissory Note or to log in to any of the federal websites that require a personal identifier. All financial aid students and any parent who is required to provide information on the FAFSA or who wants to apply for a federal PLUS loan must sign up at https://fsaid.ed.gov. Approval of the user name and password generally takes 24 to 48 hours.
- Effective Monday June 1st students and parents can go to www.studentloans.gov and complete the Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling (if this is your first loan). Parents can complete the 2015-16 PLUS Loan application. If this is the parent’s first loan for the student, a Master Promissory Note will also need to be completed. An FSA ID user name and password will be required.
- Please check your to-do list for outstanding items. Files are completed in the order in which the last required document is received.
- Due to a failure in the IRS website, IRS tax return transcripts and W-2s cannot be accessed as a pdf file from the website. If we require a copy of the tax return transcript (NOT a copy of the federal tax return) it can be submitted either by using the IRS Data Retrieval tool from the FAFSA or by requesting that a tax return transcript be mailed to you. This can be done on the IRS website, www.irs.gov, or by calling 800-829-1040.
- Students can give parents access to some of their portal information, such as financial aid awards, to-do lists and account information by setting up a report on “Share My Info” which is available on the student portal under the Money Matters tab. Once set up, parents can access real time data at https://sharemyinfo.calpoly.edu.
- Students with aid for summer or who are interested in aid for summer can get more detailed information at our website for summer aid.
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (closed 12-1) Monday - Thursday.
No telephones on Friday.
|Walk-Up Window||9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed 12-1)|
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed 12-1)
No appointments taken; walk-in basis only.