Federal or State assistance with no obligation for work or repayment. Federal and state budgets are frequently still being determined when initial awards are made. Therefore, ALL state and federal aid award amounts are tentative pending final legislative action each year.

The following grants are available at Cal Poly:

Federal Pell Grant

Awarded to eligible undergraduates working on a first bachelor's degree or students pursuing an initial credential.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Awarded to undergraduate students who have financial need.

State University Grant (SUG)

SUG is a state funded program that provides money to assist with state university fees. SUG is available to both undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a first degree who are California residents, including California Dream Act applicants, and have financial aid eligibility*. If you receive other grants designated to pay university fees, such as the Cal Grant, your SUG will be replaced by those grants.

*By CSU mandate, undergraduate students with an excess of 225 earned units, credential students who have earned more than 45 units and Master’s level students who have 125% or more units earned at the post baccalaureate level are no longer eligible to receive the State University Grant.

State Educational Opportunity Program (SEOP)

SEOP assists students admitted to Cal Poly through the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). You must be an undergraduate student officially admitted to Cal Poly under the EOP Program with need-based aid eligibility. This grant is available to eligible California Dream Act applicants.

Cal Grants

Cal Grant awards are state funded monetary grants given to students, including California Dream Act applicants, who are California residents by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). The Cal Grant pays the state fee portion of in-state resident fees.

Related Content