The International Program (IP) allows CSU students to study abroad for up to one academic year. The CSU Chancellor's Office in Long Beach, California administers this program.
To get financial aid as an IP student, you must do the following:
- Apply to be an IP participant with the International Education & Programs (IEP) Office.
- Be on the list of final, approved IP participants sent from the CSU Chancellor's Office to the Cal Poly Financial Aid Office.
- Apply for financial aid using FAFSA on the Web listing Cal Poly (CP's federal school code 001143). The priority filing date to submit the FAFSA is March 2nd for the following academic year.
- Complete your financial aid file by providing all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office.
- Maintain reasonable academic progress and have final transcripts sent to Cal Poly at IP programs' end. A hold may be placed on financial aid if final transcripts are not received as final transcripts are used to determine satisfactory progress for financial aid eligibility.
Funded students should note:
- IP financial aid eligibility operates in the same way as when attending Cal Poly except:
- Participants are not eligible for Federal Work-Study
- The budget used is the IP cost for "your" country as determined by the Chancellor's Office.
- Stafford Loan eligibility may be increased or decreased depending on the IP cost for "your" country.
- Fees are paid directly to IP Program and you are personally responsible for paying the balance of fees not covered by financial aid.
- Cal Poly sends your financial aid to the IP Program at the CSU Chancellor's Office from which the quarterly fees are deducted and the balance is directly deposited.
- Aid is disbursed at approximately the same time other Cal Poly students receive their aid, so you must plan ahead to use other funds if you expect expenses earlier.
- If you are required to complete Loan Entrance Counseling for your Stafford/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, do so before you leave!
- If you were awarded a Perkins Loan, sign, complete and return the Promissory Note(s), the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities, and the Loan Worksheet before you leave.
Contact Cal Poly's IEP Office for fee information: