Cal Poly Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Office helps you plan your finances and organize your resources to cover your college costs. Financial assistance is a resource designed to supplement the cost of education and is not intended to be used as a student's sole means of income. The types and amounts of aid Cal Poly awards or recommends are subject to availability of funds, enrollment status, and financial need. Cal Poly students have a variety of financial aid programs available for assistance. Programs vary in eligibility criteria, award amounts, and repayment options.
IMPORTANT UPDATES (effective September 24, 2018)
EMPL ID# is the 9 digit Cal Poly ID number found on the student's portal under the Personal Information Tab.
Students are required to show their student ID when visiting the Financial Aid office.
Our primary form of communication is via email. Students must check their Cal Poly email for important notices and updates.
The Cal Poly Financial Aid Office takes the security of your personal information seriously, and it is important for you to know that emailing documents with sensitive information is not secure and risks a potential data breach. You should submit any documents with sensitive information (such as SSN or birth dates) either via fax (805-756-7243), by U.S. mail, or by encrypted email. Your current email provider may offer an encryption option or you can download free software at http://www.7-zip.org/.
- If you have accepted loans and would like to reduce the amount, you may complete this in the portal. If you have declined loans and would like to have them reoffered, please call our office. If you would like to increase the amount of an accepted loan, please submit the request in writing.
- Loans that have not yet been accepted will be canceled the week of 9/25. If a student or parent later decides they do want to borrow, as long as the student is enrolled and the request is made within this academic year, the loan can be re-offered.
- It’s not too late to apply for scholarships! Cal Poly has several scholarships still to award for 2018-19. To be considered, click on My Apps on the left side of your portal called "Cal Poly Scholarships" and complete the general application as well as any other questions that you may be invited to answer. If you have already completed the scholarship application, you still need to update it. Doing so will generate a new list of scholarships for which you may be eligible to apply. Opportunities are open until September 30th.
- Fee payments remain deferred for students with financial aid or scholarships of any amount even if these funds disburse later in the fall quarter.
- To ensure timely financial aid disbursement, please check your to-do list and submit any requested documents as soon as possible.
- For Cal Grant information, click here.
- For the 2019/2020 academic year, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application can be completed starting October 1, 2019. We encourage all of our financial aid students to complete their application by the March 2, 2019 priority filing date to maximize potential aid opportunities.
- For more detailed information on the financial aid process, please refer to our Vital Award Information page. Other financial aid details can be found on the pages of our website. We recommend that you review them carefully.
- Students can give parents access to some of their portal information, such as financial aid awards, to-do lists and account information by setting up a report on “Share My Info” which is available on the student portal under the Money Matters tab. Once set up, parents can access real-time data at https://sharemyinfo.calpoly.edu.
- DACA students are not eligible for federal aid. However, those who meet California AB540 residency requirements can be eligible to apply for and receive state funding through the CA Dream Application. The rescinding of DACA does not change the state funding available to those students.
9 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (closed 12-1) Monday - Thursday.
No telephones on Friday.
|Walk-Up Window||8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday|
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
No appointments taken; walk-in basis only.