Federal Work Study - Student Information


  • A chance to earn money to help pay for your educational expenses
  • Practically guaranteed a job
  • Encourages work related to your course of study and involving community service
  • FWS employers understand you are a college student first and are very flexible in scheduling
  • FWS income (although taxable) does not affect your future financial aid eligibility

Before You Can Start A Job

You may begin working as early as the first day of the fall term, provided:

  • Your Financial Aid award is final;
  • You have registered for at least 6 units (4 units if you're a graduate student); and
  • You have completed the necessary employee forms through the State Payroll Services.

In order to fully benefit, it is essential to attend a FWS workshop. You will receive an email notification if you have not previously attended. Once you have completed the FWS workshop, your attendance is recorded and you can begin your FWS job.

IMPORTANT: You must accept the FWS award to participate. If you do not accept FWS by September 1st, the award may be canceled. If you do not work fall quarter but plan to work winter you must notify the Financial Aid Office by Thanksgiving to avoid having your FWS canceled.

How to Find a Job

All FWS jobs are posted beginning September 1st through MyCalPoly portal, click on Mustang Jobs.

  • Choose a job from the current FWS job listing through Mustang Jobs.
  • Follow the "How to Apply" instructions in the job listing.
  • If the job requires certain skills, such as graphics, art, writing, etc., take a sample of your work to the interview.

What Do I Do After I'm Hired?

Show your original Social Security Card and a photo ID to your employer or Payroll Service and complete the necessary employee forms.

  • Be punctual.
  • If you are ill and unable to work, notify your supervisor as far in advance as possible for each day you are going to be out.
  • Do not conduct any personal business while on the job.
  • Submit your time sheet on time so you can be paid on time. Paychecks are disbursed on the first working day of each month at the Student Accounts Office (01-211).

Where Do I Go?

Financial Aid Questions
Financial Aid Office
Administration, Room 212
(805) 756-2927

FWS Jobs
Mustang Jobs (through my.calpoly.edu portal)

Sign Up with Payroll and Direct Deposit
Payroll Services Office
Administration, Room 107b
(805) 756-2605

Pick up paycheck
Student Accounts Office
Administration, Room 211
(805) 756-1428

Related Content